Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Carpet puzzle

Waiting in a meeting room at a hotel in Norway after I'd set up for a talk, I became interested in the carpet. I mean, who wouldn't? Carpets are cool. I wanted to spot the repeating unit; which section could be cut out and used as a "stamp" to make the entire pattern? It was a captivating exercise. Maybe you want to try... can you find the repeating unit in this carpet pattern?

 
Here's one solution, click on it to make it larger. I've marked the four corners of one possible repeating unit with small blue blocks. Note that the corners I found make a parallelogram, does this affect producing the carpet and laying it out? This carpet was all over and in some rather large rooms. How do manage to roll this out so the patterns on adjacent pieces match?

There are puzzles to be found everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment